Grassroots volunteer efforts have come together to form a string of Relief Centers along the McKenzie Highway in the area impacted by the Holiday Farm Fire.
- Blue River Relief Center at McKenzie Community School
- Rainbow Relief Center at Upper McKenzie Community Center
- Vida Relief Center at McKenzie River Discovery Center
Two of the centers offer packaged foods, personal care items, cleaning materials, and some fresh produce, but due to space constraints, if you’re after things such as camping gear or clothing, it is recommended you try Blue River or Rainbow first.
Covid Protocols in Effect:
- Limited hours of 10-6 so that we have more time in the morning to do an extremely deep clean
- A volunteer freeze, nobody besides the core volunteers are allowed to work here at this time until the restrictions are lifted. This means that only Zoe, Jen, Johnnie, Teresa, AmeriCorp, or myself will be onsite working any day that we are open
- A visitor freeze, nobody is allowed on-premises that isn’t important Relief Center personnel or a client utilizing the facility
- We have adjusted the check-in protocol to mirror one of a doctor’s office. The front doors will be locked at all times from now on, we will be greeting customers outsides, taking their temperature, going over the covid safety questionnaire with them, going over how to wear a mask and that they are required to wear one over their mouth and nose the entire time on site, having them use hand sanitizer thoroughly and ask them to conscientious of their time shopping as their might be a line to get in. Then we will let them inside and check them in
- We will continue cleaning all surfaces between clients
- That being said, there is a new stricter cap on how many people are allowed inside at a time. The cap is 2-3 families and or not more than 6 people shopping in the gym at a time. Thus people might be asked to wait in their cars for a short period of time
See below for Center locations and details:
Blue River Relief Center
McKenzie Community School, Blue River Drive, Finn Rock, OR
Located in the “new gym” neighboring the McKenzie River Food Pantry at McKenzie Community School. Please park near the Relief Center at the east end of the school parking lot.
- Monday CLOSED
- Tuesday CLOSED
- Wednesday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Thursday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Friday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Saturday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Sunday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
What’s available? A very broad selection of packaged food, some non-refrigerated fresh produce and eggs, household goods, clothing, shoes, and lots of outdoors/camping gear, as well as bottled water (remember that currently, water in Blue River is NOT safe to drink, even if boiled) and coolers, although there is no refrigeration, so for ice, you’ll have to go to Rainbow – see below.
Wi-fi is available at this site, check the noticeboard for login details
Rainbow Relief Center
Upper McKenzie Community Center, McKenzie River Drive, Rainbow, OR (turn right at Blue Sky Market and then right again into McKenzie River Drive)
- Monday Kids School Study Only 8:00 am to 10:30 am – Store Open 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Tuesday Kids School Study Only 8:00 am to 10:30 am – Store Open 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Wednesday Kids School Study Only 8:00 am to 10:30 am – Store CLOSED
- Thursday Kids School Study Only 8:00 am to 10:30 am – Store CLOSED
- Friday Adult Internet Access & Work Only 8:00 am to 10:30 am – Store Open 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Saturday Store Open 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Sunday Store Open 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
What’s available? A good selection of foods, household goods, and some outdoor/camping gear (although for a broader selection do try Blue River first). There is also a refrigerated truck at this center, so there is usually a choice of frozen meats, as well as coolers and ice for those stuck without refrigeration where they are staying.
Wi-fi is available at this site, check noticeboard for login details
Vida Relief Center at the McKenzie River Discovery Center (MP 24)
McKenzie River Discovery Center, Historic Fish Hatchery, Mile Post 24, 446343 McKenzie Hwy, Vida, OR 97489
Located in the Historic Fish Hatchery / McKenzie River Discovery Center on the bend at Leaburg Lake. Please use the service entrance and parking area while the main parking area is used as a staging site for companies restoring services in the Valley.
Opening Hours: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday / 10 AM-4 PM (subject to change based on need) *Both the Food Pantry & Information Center will be open.
What’s available? The offering at this center will evolve based on community needs over the coming days.
Due to the very limited online communications access upriver the Relief Centers also maintain printed information materials to keep residents in touch with news and contacts for resources available to them. The Relief Centers also host County representatives onsite periodically to answer resident’s questions. Keep checking this post for updates, and like the CDC page on Facebook here and follow @CdcKenzie to get alerts on your newsfeed.
John Carlile – rightfully known as “Super John” – says the Rainbow Relief Center is currently serving over 100 people a day, and the Center at Blue River is not far behind, seeing well over 50 shoppers each day since they opened less than a week ago. As more residents return to their properties following the lifting of restrictions and the reopening of the 126, the demand is set to increase dramatically, so those interested in helping, please donate here.
Please note that due to COVID-19 safety restrictions, all patrons are required to wear masks when visiting the relief centers, but if you don’t have a mask, don’t worry, one will be provided for you.